Writing has always been a hobby of mine, beginning as a young child. It was a way to cope with losing my father at seven years of age. I started with poetry and was featured several times on the amazing poetry blog, Autumn Leaves, by Sondra Ball. My love for poetry soon led to writing songs in middle school and beyond, which I still do occasionally. Music has always been an important part of my existence, so writing songs came naturally to me. In high school, I started my own novel, however, life got in the way and I never finished it.
Fast forward many years later and I find myself married with four children, absorbed in my busy life with commitments to my family, work, school, church, and charities, among other things. One day I came across my old binder, with notes from my first novel, and it was with those notes that I conjured up the elusive Everealm.
I write to please readers such as myself, who have a love for fantasy and romance, but like a little danger and sex in their reading. I wrote the book with a mature audience in mind, who can appreciate a hearty imaginary world with magic and the unknown, but want more than fluffy love stories with wizards in them. They want the romance, magic, and danger, all wrapped into one.
Ten Things About Me
I was inspired by a fellow author’s website to share 10 interesting facts about me. Hmmm… Here goes:
- I love video games! I play Sims Medieval & Sims every other month. I also like Wizard101 and am teaching my daughters how to play it. We own and play Super Nintendo, XBox, PS2, & Wii games on a regular basis. I am passing on the video game gene to my children, as well.
- We used to own fainting goats! Fainting goats are a special breed of goats who stiffen up and fall over (faint) when they are scared. They are awesome! If we ever move to a home with more land, I will own fainting goats, again. P.S. We do have chickens here. 4 of them!
- I was in the Navy! I left for bootcamp just 9 nine days after I turned 18. I’ve lived in South Carolina, Illinois, & California while on active duty. I met my husband while in Illinois and we are celebrating our 10 year anniversary this year. He is still active duty Navy.
- I have 4 1/2 years of college and… wait for it… no degree! That’s right. I had 1 1/2 years of college under my belt before I even graduated from high school, then I spent 3 years in school after leaving the Navy. I made my own curriculum, so I don’t have an actual degree. But I have earned certificates in both Accounting and Business Administration. My majors were: Baking & Pastry, Accounting, Business Management, Web Design & Computer Programming.
- I love playing dress up! I am a bit of a drama queen (I blame it on being a Leo) and love a good costume. I really get into it and have dozens of costumes, which take up the back 1/4 of my closet. I also have costume wigs, literally, hanging on my bedposts. I will share a few of those costumes at the end of this post. I REALLY like it and I have a pretty good British accent to go along with it, too!
- I own a licensed home bakery! For those of you who don’t know me, personally, you may be surprised to know that my “day job” is a baker/business owner. We do wedding cakes, cakes, cookies, desserts, etc., and ship cookies and other treats all over the country.
- Music rules my life! I listen to music when I work, when I bathe, when I write, when I clean, when I drive, when I sit on the porch swing… When don’t I listen to music? Only when I sleep, really. But then I do hear songs in my dreams and wake up singing them, so… yeah. My father played several instruments and was in a rock/country band. My brother plays guitar, as well as my step-father (who also used to DJ) and my sister sings. I also make up song lyrics while doing all of the above things. I have lyrics written down on nearly every notebook in the house. I did attempt to learn 6-string and bass in high school. I still have my guitar and bass, saving them for a rainy day.
- I have a fantastic long term memory and sense of smell! I can remember things that happened when I was 2-3 years old. No, really. I have vivid memories from my younger years and remember exactly what my first day of kindergarten smelled like. Most of my memories are triggered by smells or certain music. I do, however, have a terrible short term memory. I can barely remember things that happened within the past 10 years or the past 10 days.
- I love cheesy made-for-tv movies! Mostly, they are from the Disney channel: Halloweentown (all of them), Brink!, Motocrossed, Zenon, and recently the new Descendants, to name a few. And even though I don’t like sappy movies, I will gladly watch just about any Lifetime movie. I do, however, have a weakness for scary movies (horror movies). I’ve seen a LOT of horror movies. Go figure…
- Speaking of movies… I fast forward through conflict scenes in movies! Yes, even Disney movies. After I’ve seen a movie once, I will skip the really sad/mean parts. I like to live in la-la-land, where everyone is happy, all of the time. And writing about sad/mean parts in my books actually affects me, physically. I have been unable to sleep when writing certain scenes. In fact, the best/worst scene in Blood Moon has already been written. I decided to get it out of the way so I don’t have to think about it for a while.